Friday, June 4, 2010

Rest Easy

I love being the child of a God who desires to have a relationship with us.  His words are like music to my ears.  The visions he give bring new hope to the weary places in my heart.  Recently my motherly responsibilities were getting the best of me while struggling with allergies, garden maintenance, and more.  The Lord brought a picture to my mind of me, in perfect rest, enjoying my new baby shortly after laboring and childbirth.  As I thought of how this related to my present circumstances, God gave me the answer I was looking for:

The same rest that was available to me then is available to me now.  It does not matter if I have just birthed a baby or folded a load of laundry while teaching math and starting dinner.  Freely He gives, and freely we can receive His awesome promises according to His word! 


Come to me,all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 
Matthew 11:28


I think that giving birth is such a spiritual experience, and often one where we are quick to turn to the Lord for help!  Therefore, it's natural that his rest would be upon us as we convene with our beautiful babies for the first time.  It seems like over time, the newness of our togetherness wears off, and the "work" our dear children bring can sometimes take center stage.  I just want to share the beginning part of that verse in Matthew with you one more time:


Come to me.. 


Let's admit to God and to ourselves that we just aren't cut out for this business of motherhood by ourselves.  We try, and we fail.  Again and again.  
This isn't because we can't handle our "lot in life".  It's because we are trying too hard to handle something that we should be handing over instead!  The days that I decide to let God use me rather than asking God to let me use him  are always the best days I have with my children.  


God says this: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Cor. 12:9


I'm ready for God's power to strengthen my role as a mother, and I'm excited for the renewal he will bring to our relationships with one another as I rest in Him.  I hear a babe cryin' now..guess that means it's time to start!