Sunday, June 27, 2010

Choosing To Love




I love to cuddle a calm and happy kiddo, help to fix up a boo boo, or solve a problem when I get to see instant results .  I also enjoy spending quality time with my husband when things between us are sweet as pie.  It's easy for me to act in love during times like these; when my natural response is to do what feels good and comes easy.  
A few days ago I came face to face with a lovely framed and matted display of 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, and though I've seen the verse many times over, it really struck a cord in my heart.
More often than I'd care to admit, the love I give others is conditional; dependent upon their attitude, obedience, performance, truthfulness, or numerous other factors.  When love becomes a choice, I often fail at the task. 
Recently my husband and I have been going through some very rough places in our relationship.  Negative emotions have been soaring high, and affection has been the last thing on my mind.  However, we are commanded as christians to love.  To love our husbands, to love our neighbor, to love our children, and most importantly, to love the Lord our God.  Whether we feel they deserve it or not.  Even if we don't feel we have the love to give.  If God is in us, it is possible.  I am still trying to work out the details, but I can tell you that if God commanded us to do it, he has already equipped us for the job.  
I tend to be a stubborn, strong-willed woman.  I don't like to "give in" when I feel I'm being taken advantage of.  Yet, I've found that if I continue to "hold out" on love until I feel someone is deserving, things continue to get worse and worse, and harder to correct than ever.  
It may hurt, it may take everything in our weary heart to love, but we have to trust God and choose to do it anyway. 

And if it makes you feel any better, know that I'm right there with you...