Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Get Ready For The Fire: A Story Of God Working In Me


This morning, before a single drop of sunlight dared to spash the sky, I awoke to the clanging of dishes in my kitchen.  Immediately my eyelids sprung open, and my heart was soon to skip a beat as the adrenaline rushed through my veins.  My still weary mind suggested it may be the cat, yet I knew he was outside.  As I walked downstairs and peered into my empty sink, it's shiny surface reflected the truth I already knew in my heart: this had been my wake up call.  There was no pot-snactchin' thief or dish-washin' fairy in my house!  It was 4:30 A.M.  Exactly the time I have been feeling I need to start waking up to get the day underway.  

Could this have been a random coincidence?  Well, considering the same exact thing happened to me yesterday morning as well, I would say not.  Only then, I crept down the stairs with Breaden's baseball bat, checking under the tables and behind the couch for invaders before settling into the idea that maybe it was a "God thing".  I imagine him chuckling at me as I lurked about like some sort of ghetto-bodyguard out to protect my family.  

Both of these mornings have brought a sense of fear into my spirit, yet today's fear was quite a bit different.  As soon as I sat up in bed and looked at the clock I knew the Lord was doing something in my life.  He knows how I am NOT a morning person.  He knew he'd have to jolt me to near smithereens to get me used to this early rising stuff, and so he did.  As I walked downstairs empty handed, I requested the Lord to grant me freedom from all fear, as I half expected to find an angel sitting on my empty countertops or on my couch.  Even as I sat down, bible in hand, I glanced out the dark window and waited just a moment to see if any"thing" may be peering back in.  Not this time...

So I opened up my bible to a completely "random" location from 1 Chronicles 21 and began to read.  It was the story of David preparing to build an altar for the Lord.  Maybe it was just the height of a moment for me, but as I read verse 26 I just so happened to get a touch of the shivers:

And David built there an altar to the Lord and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings and called upon the Lord; and He answered him by fire from heaven upon the altar of burnt offering. 

I have had some questions for the Lord lately related to how in the world I can make things come together in our home with loose ends seeming to be hanging out everywhere I look.  I needed to hear that he would answer me where I was at if I were faithful in what He asked of me.  (In this case, getting up early).  What I also needed to prepare myself for was how he may choose to answer!  My best plans and ideas get thrown out the window when His divine inspiration starts flowing.  God is gentle, yet powerful.  At times subtle, yet undeniable to those who seek him.  His presence is real and creates a sense of holy reverence and fear inside of me.  I am never quite prepared to have an encounter with him yet each time I do I long for another.  Being with him is the only place that makes perfect sense.  I need that or I would go insane.  I have no doubt in this fact.  



Now set your mind and heart to seek the Lord your God.  Arise and build the sanctuary of the Lord God, so that the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the holy vessels of God may be brought into the house built to the Name and renown of the Lord.  1 Chronicles 22:19

Let us continue to grow and be conquerors and embrace all that we were created for by simply responding in obedience to those little things he's placed in our hearts to do.  And let us watch as our minds, hearts, and homes are reestablished as holy, perfect and pleasing to Him, that we would have peace in our hearts, and be a blessing to all we come in contact with!  


Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.  Romans 12:1

One simple act of faith, one amazing God who will come and lead the way.  His ways are above our ways, and He will take us places beyond what you could ever think or dream possible.  Are you ready for the fire?!