Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Finding Joy In The Little Things



Yes, those are a few adventurous little garden gnomes, and that oversized one is my husband enjoying a photo op with them.  Hey, did I ever say we were a prim and proper bunch?!  In keeping with traditional Sesame Street style: (Why?  Just because I'm in the mood I suppose..) This moment was brought to you by the letter "J", and by Phillipians chapter 4 verse 8.  

Today the "J" we're talking about is JOY!  It's everywhere, as Shawn clearly demonstrates, and sometimes we simply have to look for it!  Just think, if he would have been looking straight ahead...well, I shudder to think what could have happened to our cheerful little friends.  Anyway, the point is that there's simply no limit to the goodness of God that is waiting to be beheld in our lives, regardless of our present circumstances, available time, or mood!   

Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  Phil. 4:8

Look up, look around, keep your ears and heart open , and ask God to reveal himself to you in all kinds of silly and subtle ways throughout your day.  Little doses of this joy go a long way!  Check out the words to the hymn All Things Bright And Beautiful to get a jumpstart to finding joy in everyday moments.  

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Gen. 1:31

I have dishes to do this morning, but not as many as I had last night.  I can listen to the sweet sounds of little feet patting around while I work, or I can be brave and summon them for help.  It may be cold and rainy outside, but fluffy socks and a few candle flames flickering about always warm a spot inside of me.   And just think of the time it's saving me from watering my plants.  Tea anyone?